One of the strategic themes of the restructuring project "Re-engineering of technical services processes" has resulted in the implementation of a new process within the Library which will have an impact on location information within the Library catalogue.
Over the next few months you will begin to see the following changes in the type of location information included in the catalogue records:
· For main stack materials in the MacKimmie Block and Tower (basically, the existing floor locations 4LT, 5LT, 6LT, 7LT, 8LT, 9LT, 10LT, 3LB and BLB), the record will be changed to read either MacKimmie Block or MacKimmie Tower.
· Each catalogue record for materials on these floors with the basic floor location will also include a live link to the location information and cut-away floor plan of the stacks currently available from the Library home page so that users will still be able to identify the location of material from the on-line system. (This cut-away floor plan and call number information is in the process of being revised to reflect the collection moves that are currently under way within the Library.) David Brown has set up a test version in the iLink test system (use Internet Explorer), see: http://neter.lib.ucalgary.ca/uhtbin/webcat
· In addition to the floor plans that are currently located in all the elevator corridors, this information (in a format that meets current Fire Code - no paper in elevators!) will be posted inside each of the Block and Tower elevators.
· All other existing location codes will remain in use. (Eg. 6LT - OVRSZ for oversized materials, 8LT - PAM for pamphlets, 12LT for Special Collections, all branch locations)
· This change will provide savings in staff time within Collections and Technical Services related to basic processing and cataloguing. In addition, for current and future relocation of books from one floor to another, this change will save significant work in Information Technology Services and Bibliographic Services where records required individual manipulation to reflect new location information.
· This change was approved by I.R. Council on April 1, 2004. Most other university libraries follow similar practices with most not providing links to location information.
Time Lines: Transition Period expected to last approximately four months.
Within the next two weeks, new books acquired shelf-ready will appear in the system with the building-level locations (MacKimmie Block or MacKimmie Tower). Then slowly, starting with the books now on 5LT and working (10,000 or so items a day) up the Tower, the books that currently have incorrect locations in the catalogue owing to the Tower collection-shifting will be changed globally in the system to reflect these changes.
If you require further information, please contact Ada-Marie or Darlene.
We realize that this is a significant change and appreciate that users may require additional help from the service desks during the transition period. Your assistance in explaining this change and in assisting with the implementation will be greatly appreciated.